TMD is an industry-leading transportation consulting firm dedicated to helping public and private transit agencies improve public mobility in their communities. Since 1988, TMD’s data-driven methodologies, knowledge of best practices, and collaborative approach have enabled transit systems to design and implement innovative solutions with measurable and sustainable results.
TMD’s managers and associates represent a broad range of industry experience in multimodal transit system development; service evaluation, planning, and design; operations; scheduling; financial and capital planning; and marketing and graphic design. As an employee, you’ll get hands-on experience working with seasoned industry professionals. As well, you’ll have the opportunity to learn about transit while developing project management and technical skills. The nature of the work gives our employees a chance to travel, working face-to-face with clients and learning firsthand how transit functions.
The Transit Planner Intern will support multiple projects in TMD’s diverse portfolio, assisting associate planners, senior planners, project managers, and our marketing and administrative staff in both our Carlsbad headquarters and our satellite locations. Project work may include comprehensive service design/restructuring efforts (bus, rail, paratransit, on-demand), multimodal corridor studies, local/regional transportation plans, feasibility studies, fare policy/pricing models, service equity (Title VI) analyses, facility planning, and financial and capital planning.
Principal duties for the Intern position may include but are not limited to:
- Performing general transit planning project tasks, including research, data collection and manipulation, technical analysis, exhibit and map preparation, report writing/formatting, and related tasks as needed
- Producing project deliverables, including documentation, maps, reports, and presentations for transit clients as well as non-transit audiences (e.g., riders, elected officials, community leaders, and other stakeholders)
- Assisting Associate Planners, Senior Planners, and Project Managers with staff assignments
- Supporting TMD’s business development and marketing activities, including research, proposal development, marketing materials, and client meetings and presentations
Expected hours per week
12-24 hours per week, ideally working on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and/or Thursdays
In person. Our office is located at 2701 Loker Ave. West, Suite 110, Carlsbad, CA 92010
Desired Qualifications & Skills
The ideal candidate would be someone who has, or is in the process of obtaining, a bachelor’s or master’s degree in planning or equivalent degree with a focus in transportation planning and 0-2 years of relevant experience. In addition, successful applicants should meet the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of transportation planning and/or land use
- Proven quantitative, analytical, and problem-solving skills, and a strong aptitude for using data-driven methodologies to develop ideas
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and visual communication and presentation skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel
- Additional experience with mapping (GIS), graphics (Tableau, InDesign, Illustrator, and/or Canva), modeling, or database analysis a plus
How to Apply
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to [email protected].
The position will remain open until filled.