TMD is seeking an experienced and collaborative planner to join our growing team, preferably in our Carlsbad, CA office (remote locations may be considered). This is an excellent opportunity for a mid- to senior-level transit professional to work hands-on with an innovative group of seasoned industry experts to design creative and effective transportation and mobility solutions for communities across the United States.
We are hiring a self-motivated Senior Transit Planner with demonstrated quantitative and analytical skills, as well as previous project management and supervisory experience. The successful candidate will work both independently and with a small team of skilled transit industry professionals to ensure timely completion of high quality project deliverables for a variety of public and private sector clients. He or she will participate regularly in client meetings and presentations and will support business development and marketing efforts as needed. We are looking for a knowledgeable and flexible self-starter who will fit with TMD’s collaborative culture and non-hierarchical organizational structure. This role requires some travel, depending on project assignments.
The Senior Transit Planner will work on multiple projects in TMD’s diverse portfolio, collaborating with senior management, project managers, associate/assistant planners, and our marketing and administrative staff from both our main Carlsbad office and our satellite locations. This position will report to a TMD Project Manager.
Principal duties for the Senior Transit Planner position may include but are not limited to:
- Performing general transit planning tasks, including market research, service performance evaluation, data collection & analysis, and technical writing. Project work may also include local/regional transportation plans, feasibility studies, fare policy/pricing models, service equity (Title VI) analyses, facility planning, and financial and capital planning.
- Developing data-driven recommendations for multimodal transit systems (urban, suburban, and rural geographies), including route and network restructuring, corridor planning, changes in operating policies and practices, new transit product implementation, or transit performance monitoring.
- Performing day-to-day task work and project management duties as assigned (e.g., project scheduling/budgeting, mentoring/training junior staff, and client engagement/interaction).
- Producing project deliverables, including maps, reports, and presentations for transit clients as well as non-transit audiences (e.g., riders, elected officials, community leaders).
- Supporting TMD’s business development and marketing activities.
Desired Qualifications & Skills
Successful candidates should have a minimum of two years of transportation planning and design or urban planning experience in the areas listed above. In addition, the ideal applicant should meet the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated quantitative, analytical, and critical-thinking skills, and a strong aptitude for using data-driven methodologies to develop ideas.
- Proven ability to successfully conduct/manage multiple projects on time and on budget.
- Comprehensive knowledge of current transit system issues, opportunities, and challenges.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and visual communication and presentation skills.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel; experience with ArcGIS, Tableau, InDesign, Illustrator, and/or Canva a plus.
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in urban or transportation planning, geography, or a related planning field desired, but not required.
- Additional professional licenses or certifications (e.g. AICP) a plus.
TMD offers a competitive salary and benefits package, depending on qualifications and years of experience. As a small company with team members in multiple locations, we also provide opportunities for flexible work hours and arrangements.
- Competitive salaries
- Annual bonuses
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Generous PTO and holidays
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Profit sharing
- Flexible work schedule (Telework and Hybrid)
- Conference opportunities
- Professional fees, registration and dues offset
- Company-funded short and long-term disability insurance and life insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
How to Apply
If you are a critical thinker and public transportation advocate seeking to join an industry-leading team and contribute meaningfully to the transit industry, we encourage you to apply by sending your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.